iPhone Dev Chronicles
I’ve spent a little more time this weekend learning Objective-C and Cocoa programming for the iPhone. It looks like sqlite3 is the format of choice for structured data storage on the iPhone, so I’ve been working on stuffing the USDA sr20 food dataset into an sqlite3 format. Using Apple’s examples, I’ve figured out how to do basic lists and navigation bars. So far I have a simple app that loads the food names and displays them in a single scrollable list.
Now that I’ve figured out the basic mechanics, comes the hard work — design! I can’t just do a straight port of CoM to the iPhone — it just won’t fit! And using only fingers to navigate and enter data adds a further challenge. I’ve got to come up with the core functions and design each screen carefully. It also doesn’t make sense to track the complete set of nutrients since there’s not much screen space to display it all anyways.